Wednesday, 22 November 2017
Mathematics-N.Z.E.I Professional Development
On Wednesday 9th August I attended a Mathematics course by Audrey Tan through the N.Z.E.I free professional development intiative. I loved the positive mindset she had about maths-"your brain grows when you make a mistake." Audrey presented us with research that showed how low NZ performance is in maths compared to other countries. I liked this quote "If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn." She suggested a simple recipe that results in rapid improvement. Step 1. Efficiency and accuracy with the 4 basic operations. Step 2 Word problems and applications (instead of teaching strategies). Step 3 Whole class teaching Step 4. Explicit instruction/student practice. I think we are covering the 4 basic operations well in the junior school. We are teaching the children knowledge and strategies through the new Numeracy framework. The children encounter word problems for these 4 basic operations throughout their instructional maths lessons. They have time to practise with 5 questions to prove it afterwards. I really liked seeing problem solving in action on our visit to Hoon Hay School which I think ties in well with this P.D lecture. I am keen to give this a go and would like to start with 'Mrs Johnston's Laundry.' I enjoy both whole class teaching and ability grouped. I think a mixture of both would be good for the students. Mostly our strands are taught as a whole class which does work well. Audrey suggested many ways why whole class teaching is very beneficial in increasing student engagement and teacher contact time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks Angela for sharing this blog post. It sounds like a very worthwhile course and it has enriched your teaching in Mathematics. This course along with the Hoon Hay course has grown your enthusiasm to teach Mathematics in our team. You certainly love teaching Maths and the children are lucky to have such a talented Maths teacher. Word problems are certainly a great way to teach children - authentic and real.
ReplyDelete