Tuesday, 12 May 2020
Māori
Bex and Mrs Earl have started coming on Fridays to the hub to teach the children Maori. I have found this very beneficial to my own learning. It has been a great time to practise the correct pronounciation of words and phrases. The children have enjoyed participating in the songs, actions and games. I have been joining the Distance Learning Friday Fun Day sessions online. It is great to learn alongside the children. I have also had a session online with Bexs myself to work on my Mihi pronounciation. I have been grateful for the learning opportunities offered by the school. Lately I have downloaded the Tipu app on my phone and have been working my way through the levels. It is great to have easy access to a tutor online. Bex showed me the Maori Dictionary online which I have added to my favourites bar. It's a great way of looking up Maori words and being able to hear the correct pronouciation. I think this will come in very handy at school. On the 10th March the teachers visited a Marae. This was a very interesting experience. We completed our own Mihi's and had to stand up and say them twice infront of a group of our peers. Our Mihi's got critiqued the second time through and it was good to get some help with the correct pronouciation. I also enjoyed participating and learning about a Powhiri on a Marae. I think it would be great to take the children for a Marae visit one day. I will continue to incorporate what I have learnt into the daily routines of the school day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ange, It is great that you are making time to further your learning in Te reo. We are lucky to have expertise on our staff such as Bexs and Jo and that you are making the most of what is being offered. It is also wonderful for the children to see teachers learning alongside them. I also know that you are incorporating your learning into your sessions with the children. The Tipu app is great, I need to get on and use it more! I agree that it would be a wonderful experience to take the children to the Marae. How do you think we can build on or incorporate the Friday Fun Day sessions into Kākano's learning now that we are back on site?
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your post, I know that I need to stop thinking about how I need to further my knowledge of our Māori language and actually commit to it.
Ka pai hōki koe.