Wednesday, 9 October 2019
Maths: Jo Boaler: youcubed website
We went to a conference for maths with Jo Boaler in Hamiliton during the holidays. We learnt about problem solving and youcubed was her website she introduced us to. I have since introduced some problem solving activities in the challenge room for the children. I started with the task: Three Block Towers. I explained it to the children and left the equipment and instructions on the table. I modelled how to begin. Some children chose the activity. The aim was to find out how many ways you could construct a tower with the three colours. The children stacked and drawed different possible combinations. They enjoyed the activity. The children in the end couldn't explain how many combinations there were altogether. The feedback sessions at the end of the coaching time worked well as the children shared what they had done and challenged others to have a go. It was a little challenging to step back and let the children experiment and not tell them the answer. It was interesting observing and seeing what the children thought. It was a good time to introduce mathematical language as well. Snap It! was another problem solving challenge I put out for the children. You had to get ten cubes or twenty(extension) and snap it. One hand behind your back and say the two numbers that add to ten or twenty. The children had to work out how many different combinations there are to make the number. The children used the blocks to draw and write their answers. They enjoyed sharing what they had done with others. The children couldn't work out when they had all the possible combinations. I think we need to continue with these sorts of problem solving questions in the coaching room. We need to work with the children encouraging a growth mindset so they don't give up when it gets too hard. Model that it is good to struggle in maths. Encourage the children to give problem solving activities a go. Get the children to teach each other and give them time to struggle and work out an answer. The website was very informative and had great problem solving tasks that I will continue to use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment