Wednesday, 9 October 2019

Maths: Flexible Grouping

I have really enjoyed teaching maths this year. We come together each term and decide on groups for the children. During the term we focus on the learning needs of the group. I find this easy to find on the digital progressions. I start with the big gaps that everyone needs and then focus on others. Not everyone in the group needs the same goals, so I extend the children who know more and help the children who are struggling to achieve the goal. The aim is to have these updated regularly. I feel we need to be more flexible when doing these goals and look more at others planning. Then we can swap around children more when this happens to a group doing a goal they need. I look forward to trying this in term four when needed. I have been shown how to have two screens open at once and think this will help. I will have my planning and the digital progressions open and this will be easier to mark down a 1,2,3 for the children as we go. The goals are specific to what the children need to learn. I find the digital progressions are more of a working document and the Linc Ed goals are updated after. The children are aware of their learning goals and understand the concept of evidence, showing the teacher three times they have mastered the skill. I like flexible grouping, I think we need to work on being more flexible ourselves in changing around children in groups more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment