A Foundation Workshop, West Melton School
Main points that I took from the workshop:
* There is extensive research behind the value of play.
* When engaged in authentic play more likely to develop higher order cognitive and socio-emotional skills then if exposed to direct teaching and adult structured learning opportunities.
* The children must have the freedom to quit (intrinsic motivation)
* Strong sense of self efficacy and resiliency result through peer interaction and negotiation.
* ''Play is the vehicle for the learning."
*The need to understand children's urges 'skema'. Urges underpinn learning for everyone.
* Quality of Learning through Play, role of the teacher, balance self directed and teacher directed.
* Conflict Resolution, strategies to cope
* Zone of proximal development-moment to teach in play
*Socio-dramatic play-most important part of play
* Teacher's Role: watch, observe, extend play, resources, model/scaffold, introduce language, give more information, direct, recognise where children are in their learning, invite children to think differently
* Three times a week share e.g slideshow, photos, models etc
* Five year journey to get Playbased established
* Planning: flexible, anticipation, reflective, observation-data driven (key competencies, urges, observation-greatest tool in playbased.
* Playbased Learning: 1Developmental stage-2 Current urges-3 Functional types of play-4 Provocations with loose parts (resourcing of play, preparing)-5 Authentic play (teaching through play)-6 Documented learning through assessment of play-7 Observation. Then start back at number 1.
* Document what seen (observation/urges), respond, connect to the curriculum.
*Take time to teach: sharing, turn taking etc to manage themselves in play.
''An environment which is rich in open-ended materials and real materials, invokes children to experiment, engage, construct and invent, invites them to tinker, to manipulate and to play."
Nicholson 1972
I thought these were all very good interesting points about Learning through Play. It is great that we have lots of research to fall back on and support us that a Learning through Play environment is so valuable and how big a role authentic play takes. It is a challenge for me to think that the children should be able to quit the task they are working on as we see perseverance and the success of completing a task a very valuable lesson too. It is important to give the children the opportunity to develop resilience themselves through peer interactions, so the role of the teacher sometimes needs to step back and be more like a coach at times. We have learnt how big a role urges have to play in Learning through Play and now have to work on using these to extend the child's learning. I see a need for time to share what they have been doing in Learning through Play but it is finding the time in the classroom programme to include it daily. I also agree we need to take time to teach the skills of conflict resolution, turn taking, sharing, constructive feedback etc so the children can collaboratively play and self manage themselves in this environment. The role of the teacher is always changing in this environment, I am learning when I am needed in play and when to observe. I also see how important questioning is through my inquiry to extend the children and get them to think deeper. I think we need more open ended, real materials. We have started with some loose parts which are very popular on the construction table. We now have a beach themed table and a play dough making table. I can't wait until we get into wet play. We have come along way but theres still a long way to go and I'm excited about the journey! Definately some great ideas to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment