Wednesday, 22 November 2017
Bridging the gap workshop-play based learning
I thought it was very interesting how we think about children not being ready for school and at this workshop it has been turned around into how can we get schools ready for children? They talked about Early Childhood centres and how they use Te Whariki and it's play based philosophy.This curriculum focuses on specific learning outcomes for children. Play based experiences are offered strategically and tailored to meet a number of academic, social and behavioural learning goals according to children's needs and developmental levels. A couple of teachers talked to us about their play base learning activities in the classroom and how beneficial it was for everyone (children, parents, teachers). I really like the idea of having play based learning in the morning from 8:30 to 9:30am. It is a great way to start the school day and connect with the parents and children (all about relationships!). I came away from the course wanting to start play base learning as soon as possible. I am happy to say we are trailing it this week and it is going amazingly. The children are excited to come to school and can't wait to get started. The parents have been interested in the hive of activity when they walk into the classroom. The children are collaborating together and very engaged in their activities. We have started with wooden blocks, playdough with shape cutters, different types of lego, marble track, craft/drawing tables, cars and a racing track. All activities have been used by the children. I walk around the room and the conversations I hear are very positive. The children are experimenting, reflecting, giving each other feedback, sharing their successes and listening to each others ideas. I am excited about the next steps for play based learning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Like you Ang I absolutely loved this course and came away desperate to implement play and the morning. It was great to have your enthusiasm to share this with. I am impressed with how you have begun this journey in your classroom. The variety of play in your room has enabled all children to be catered for. Well done!
ReplyDelete