Monday, 7 June 2021

Day Five: DFI

 
Day Five DFI 
Connecting with Dorothy: Visible Learning
I liked the idea of the floorboards and how everything needs to be inplace for the whare to have a strong structure. One of these important foundations is Visible Learning. Dorothy talked about opening up the Learning Journey and making teaching and learning visible for all. I liked the quote “the learner is at the centre of the learning.” It made me think about the changes in our school that we have made to make learning visible. We have our Google Site that has all our learning/planning, visible to all (Learn, Create, Shares), the hub blog (during Lockdown children posted their work here) my professional blog/reflections and Hero with the children's goals in Literacy and Maths available to the parents. I think it is great that the parents have access to all the learning for their child/ren. It makes it rewindable and they know where their children are in their learning and what the next steps are. This makes them part of their child/ren’s learning journey. We had a pretty smooth transition to Lockdown Learning as we were already working on delivering our learning visibly through our site. The parents could already access their children’s lessons.

Multimodal 
I enjoyed learning about multimodal. I learnt that the hook is important. “Teachers need to sell a love of learning” This quote made me think about myself/teachers and how we are lifelong learners. “Do we inspire our children to go in?” This quote made me think about our lessons in the hub and how engaging they are. It made me think of my Learn, Create, Shares and if I am catering to different learner styles enough e.g text, images, videos, mote to record voice etc We thought about our learners that are in front of you, their needs, what the edges of the classroom are for your class?” (The children you need to bring in and engage, capture in the learning) Multimodal design is good for engagement, accessibility, empowerment/agency and cognitive complexity to improve understanding and outcomes, differentiation for presentation, Universal Design for learning (UDL). I think I will consider more multimodal design in my next learning tasks for the children. I learnt the difference between: Behavioural: engage, on task, attracted to work Cognitive: challenge them mentally, rich learning experiences, engage with learning. These both need to happen in our planning. 

Creating a Google Site 
I enjoyed learning how to set up a Google site as I haven’t done this before. We use our Hub Google Site for putting up all our planning (Learn, Create, Shares) so I am used to navigating around on a Google site. It was good to see how it was created from the beginning as a team member did this for us at the start of the year. I learnt more about T Shaped Literacy and it was great to actually complete a Google Site for it. Check out the Google Site I made. The interesting part was finding texts that fit with the main text. E.g Main text/theme that learning was designed around. Complimentary text: was another text that was similar to the main text in ideas. Scaffolding text: easy for the children to understand. Challenging: Extends the children’s thinking, challenging to complete. Followed by create tasks, then share ideas. 

My Map 
Last week I made a My Map of attractions that I had been to in London. Now I have learnt how to share it on my blog. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I hope to use the Seasons site with the children at some stage. It is something that we can use again and again each year. I enjoyed making the site and learning more about T Shaped Literacy. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete