Saturday, 14 September 2019

Research

Research Article 4: Self-Directed Play inspires rich learning - Education Gazette Children are in the driver’s seat at St Paul’s Junior School in Nelson, where student agency through self-directed, open-ended inquiry play is given full rein. Summary of reading: -Everything they see is an invitation to play -Open ended play nurtures so much more of a child’s holistic learning than instructional, teacher driven activity at this age -3 to 7 years you want to create confident, inquiring, open thinkers with high level thinking skills -Child led play engages complex thinking, expression, exploration, supports their transition to school -Engaging in a combination of self directed and intentional teaching using invitation to play, children develop skills in persevering, concentrating, problem solving, qualities which are considered strong predictors of academic success. All areas of the curriculum are woven through play in a cross-curricular, integrated approach -We learn by doing -Provide an environment where everyone is responsive to the children’s creativity, interests and passions -We coach, guide, comment rather than instruct in play, alongside discreet intentional teaching and build on the learning experiences the child brings with them -We teach daily, small group literacy/maths but not at the expense of creative inquiry play -Children have phenomenal learning abilities at this age and we need them to believe that -Narrative assessment/learning stories track learning in relation to National Curriculum -Seesaw used to share achievement with parents -St Paul’s Junior School approach is guided by international literature on the importance of learning/teaching through play, constructivist education theory, developmentally appropriate practices, understanding the role of anxiety in limiting learning (Nathan Wallis’ research), working with Sarah Aiono: Longworth Education Tips for teachers: -Value play-based learning for ages 3-7years, it nurtures strong academic success in later years -Utilise natural resources to support children’s play experiences -Look at international research, provides evidence for this approach/good ideas -Implement changes in teaching approaches/environment gradually, in order to sustain the changes over time. -Communicate/share evidence for why play is important with parent community, educate whanau on benefits for children in learning through play My Thoughts: I really like the idea/language of an invitation of play. I am excited about the invitations to play I can now create as we can add to the new planning sheets any activity that we wish, the possibilities are endless. I am always thinking about the things the children could explore in the Learning Through Play room and how I can then move these to activities in the Challenge room. I now feel I am asking myself is this activity open ended? Is Linc Ed evidence that I am collecting open ended, are we showing all what the child knows and has learnt in this area? How can they prove what they have learnt? How would they like to showcase their learning? I am thinking of how the children can have more ownership of their learning. I am also thinking of my role as a coach and how I can get the children to think deeper about their learning, specific questions/comments that inspire the children on. I know myself, I learn better by doing and so do the children. Learning stories might be a next step for us in Learning Through Play. We have been on a Longworth course and been to a talk by Nathan Wallis who both have great ideas that we are following along with. I think we are on the right track ticking off most of the teachers tips. Could we share a reading (research) each week in the newsletter on Learning Through Play? Or put one up on our blog? Another next step for us I think is to incorporate more natural resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment